What is MowBotix?
We are fans of the small robotic mowers and their indoor brethren, Roomba. When we looked for a commercial mowing solution, or for areas larger than 2 acres we couldn’t find anything well suited on a larger scale.
This is the problem we are solving at MowBotix. Our solution addresses each limiting characteristic of the current small robotic mowers
- Short cut times and low productivity
- Small cut width, less than 24 inches
- Random mowing pattern
- Requires physical boundary or electronic fence via markers or buried wire
- Per site installation – max one mower per site due to low productivity
- 1-2 acres over several days
We address each of these by having a system that can be installed on any commercial gas or electric mower. By using advanced sensor package for localization and navigation our systems address each of the limitations with the following characteristics
- Run time as long as mower can hold fuel or continuous with periodic fuel ups
- New or existing mower of your choice, deck sizes up to 72″
- User configured cut pattern with straight as an arrow stripes
- No modification or installation for new locations
- Can be operated on hundreds of locations
- 2-3 acres per hour limited by deck size
Autonomous Mowing – Can we do better?
An interesting pattern we have noticed working with customer feedback is mowing starts at dawn and ends a little past dusk. Assuming at least 8 hours of night during mowing season, a month you are missing out on 340 hours that equipment could be generating revenue, but instead is sitting waiting until next dawn underutilized.
Surely we could do better? Yes, yes we can, in fact we can do better than just night time mowing.
- Mow all night with no compromise in safety allowing 24×7 equipment utilization
- Mow on the hottest and coldest of days, even in snow if you really wanted to
- Cut straighter stripes than a human can; check out our early videos
How does it work with my existing equipment?
Our autonomous mowing solution can be installed on any commercial gas or electric mower. Current supported make and models are Hustler X-One and Toro GrandStand. If your make and model isn’t supported feel free to contact us on getting it added.
How did we start?
Before MowBotix started, the idea for outdoor autonomous vehicles originated on a farm in Missouri.
Being frustrated with the innovation, or lack thereof, on the farm we decided to do something about that, and thus MowBotix was born.
What is next?
In the coming weeks we will be announcing our first commercially available product. In the meantime sign up with our news article to keep up to date with videos and posts.